The council of Alcañiz is one of the most beautiful examples of Aragonese Renaissance architecture. It is located in the square La Plaza de España attached to the Gothic market. Both buildings were declared Historic and Artistic Landmark in 1931. This building was finished in 1570 after being five years under construction. It seems that the works followed an Italian planning, which is not surprising if we consider that Alcañiz was in that time the cradle of humanists such as Juan Sobrarias, Pedro Ruiz de Moros, Bernardino Gómez Miedes, Juan Lorenzo Palmireno y Domingo Andrés.
The main facade of the city hall faces the square and its left side gives onto D.Ángel Ruiz Street. The back of the building has been recently attached to a new building where the Police headquarters are located today. This new building was arranged into three floors.